Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Funky Fingers - NEONS!!

Today I have a trio of neon polishes from Funky Fingers. I was out shopping for my Secret Leprechaun at Five Below and saw these in the middle of the store. They were 3 for $5. There were several other shades, including a green, a purple and a yellow. I picked up blue, orange and pink.

From left: Kingston, 220 Volts and Pop Artist

As with all neon polishes, they require more than one coat and usually always need a top coat because of the semi-matte way they dry.

First up is 220 Volts. It's the first polish that caught my eye. Of course, I love my blues. This one is actually a marine blue and is really pretty on the nail.

Three coats of 220 Volts w/ Seche Vite topcoat

I didn't use anything but Sally Hansen basecoat, three coats of 220 Volts and a coat of Seche Vite topcoat. This is really vibrant in person and is a great blue for any skin tone. It would look awesome on nubbins or longer nails. 

Next up is Kingston. Kingston is a very bright melon-y orange. It's my least favorite of three neons. You definitely need a coat of white polish under this one. It has pretty bad VNL, so if that bothers you, use a white like OPI's Alpine Snow underneath.

Three coats of Kingston
This color is pretty in the bottle, but I'm not so impressed with it on the nails. It's not really any brighter than a regular orange polish, even with white underneath. Of course, if you are a big orange fan, this one is for you. I think it would look great on darker skin tones. 

The final of the trio is Pop Artist, a neon pink. It's a very watermelon-y color and is my favorite of the three. It's the one that looks the most "neon" of the three. 

Three coats of Pop Artist

This is a very pretty color and I think it's one of those ones that look good on any skin tone, including very fair. It goes from a hot pink to a watermelon color depending on what kind of light you are in. It's very easy to put on, although the first coat can be a little streaky.

Pop Artist with a topcoat of Seche Vite

All of these polishes will require at least two coats, but three seems to get rid of any streaks or bald spots. They definitely can be worn alone, but if you really want some pop, you can add a coat of white polish as a base.

Blurred so you can see how bright these are

I used a coat of OPI Alpine Snow, then added two coats each of all three neon polishes. Kingston is the biggest improvement since there is no VNL. I think 220 Volts and Pop Artist look almost the same with Alpine Snow underneath, so if you want to skip that step it doesn't interfere with the brightness at all.

From Left: Kingston, 220 Volts and Pop Artist with one coat of OPI Alpine Snow

For $5, you really can't go wrong with these polishes. I have two other polishes from Funky Fingers, including a purple which could also pass off as a neon. They are a decent polish for the price. Five Below seems to have a large inventory of all sorts of Funky Fingers, including glitters and cremes. 

And with Spring in the air, you can't go wrong with a bright neon to cheer you up! Of course, one thing that always cheers me up is puppies!! So, today we have an extreme close-up of Miss Brinlee for you!

Brinlee Wechtenhiser says "Thanks for reading Mommy's blog!"



 









1 comment:

  1. I love FunkyFingers they were my first big nailmail I do believe Kingston maybe scented :D

    ReplyDelete

I always welcome comments and suggestions!